The Institute of Statistical Research and Training (ISRT), University of Dhaka, is the leading institution for training and research in Applied Statistics in Bangladesh. It was founded in 1964 by the Late National Professor Dr. Qazi Motahar Husain, an eminent scientist, academician and a leading proponent of the statistical sciences in this country. The institute is going to start an inaugural training program on R for students and professionals from July 29, 2018. The program, named as R for Data Analytics, would be the first training program of its kind offered from an academic institution in Bangladesh.
What is R?
R is a programming language and free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. The R language is widely used among statisticians and researchers in other fields for data analysis and developing statistical software. R is easily extensible through functions and extensions, and the R community is noted for its active contributions in terms of packages.
Why should you learn R?
- R is the lingua franca of data science. To master the three core areas of data science- data manipulation, data visualization, and machine learning- R provides an integrated suite of software facilities.
- R is easy to learn and understand, and can be operated from any operating system.
- R is a free and open-source software, enabling every user to create specialized packages according to his need.
- R is the most popular programming language according to a survey conducted by O’ Reilly Media in 2014.
- According to the latest rankings by Redmonk, R is placed at 13th, the highest of any statistical programming language.
- Ranking by TIOBE indicates a strong year over year rise for R.
- R is the tool of choice for data scientists in big companies like Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and also very popular among academicians and researchers.
Why should you choose ISRT to learn R?
- ISRT is the pioneer of using R in academics in Bangladesh. Faculty members and students have been using R for more than 20 years.
- Most of the faculty members are highly skilled and competent in using R. Many of them have experience of developing a number of R packages.
- ISRT has been teaching R to its students since the inception of its bachelor’s program in Applied Statistics.
- ISRT boasts in producing many graduates having expertise in using R over these years, who are successfully employed in many leading industries across the globe.
What are the learning outcomes of the program?
The training program offers a comprehensive content designed for researchers, educators and students of diverse backgrounds who have limited knowledge in statistical data analyses, but are enthusiastic to earn competency in learning the computational science of data using R.
The curriculum of this training has been developed to provide-
- basic R programming skills (writing functions, loops, conditions etc)
- feel more familiar with the R interface and language
- skills to handle any form of data
- basic statistical knowledge required for analyzing data and creating lucrative graphs
- perform all conventional statistical models and analysis tests
- hands-on experience on solving problems related to real-life data
How to do registration?
A certificate of attendance for this course shall be provided to the trainee who will complete the course successfully.
You can cancel your booking up to five working days before the start of the course for a full refund, but please give as much notice as possible. Places cancelled or changed after this point won’t be eligible for a refund. Please send all cancellation requests to trainingR@isrt.ac.bd.
Mrs. Humayera Islam
Mr. Md. Rashedul Hoque
Mr. Paritosh Kumar Roy
Dr. M. Iftakhar Alam
Dr. Md Hasinur Rahaman Khan