Dr. Tamanna Howlader
BSc, MSc (Dhaka University, Dhaka), MSc (Concordia University, Montreal), PhD (Concordia University, Montreal)
I am interested in interdisciplinary research. Therefore my research centers on novel applications of statistical methods to problems arising in other disciplines, such as, computer vision, image processing, pattern recognition and public health.
– Howlader, T. (with M.S. Rahman, M.S. Masud and M.L. Rahman) (2016). ”Association of low birth weight with malnutrition in children under five years in Bangladesh: Do mother’s education, socio-economic status and birth interval matter?” PLOS One, e0157814.doi 10.1371/journal.pone.0157814.
– Howlader, T. (with S.S. Ali and S.M.M. Rahman) (2016), “Pooled shrinkage estimators for quadratic discriminant classifiers: An analysis for small sample sizes in face recognition,” International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Springer, published online, May 2016. See DOI: 10.1007/s13042-016-0549-4.
– Howlader, T. (with S.M.M. Rahman and D. Hatzinakos) (2016), “On the selection of 2D Krawtchouk moments for face recognition” Pattern Recognition, Elsevier Science Publishers, Vol. 54, pp. 83-93.
– Howlader, T. (with S.P. Lata and S. M.M. Rahman) (2015). “Bayesian face recognition using 2D Gaussian-Hermite moments”, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, Springer, Vol. 35, pp. 1–20.
– Howlader, T. (with F.T. Jhohura and S.M.M. Rahman) (2015). “Bayesian fusion of ensemble of multifocused noisy images”, Circuits, Systems & Signal Processing, Springer, Vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 2287-2308.
– Howlader, T. (with S. Roy and S.M.M. Rahman) (2013). “Image fusion technique using multivariate statistical model for wavelet coefficients”, Signal Image and Video Processing, Springer, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 355-365.
– Howlader, T (with Y.P. Chaubey) (2010). “Noise Reduction of cDNA Microarray Images Using Complex Wavelets”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, IEEE Signal Processing Society, Vol. 19, No. 8, 1953-1967.
– Howlader, T (with Y.P. Chaubey) (2009). “Wavelet-Based Noise Reduction by Joint Statistical Modeling of cDNA Microarray Images”, Journal of Statistical Theory and Practice, Taylor & Francis, Vol 3, No. 2, 349-370.
– Howlader, T. (with S.M.M.Rahman and Y.P. Chaubey) (2017). On wavelet based methods for noise reduction of cDNA microarray images, in A. Adhikary, M.R. Adhikary & Y.P. Chaubey (eds.), Mathematical and Statistical Applications in the Life Sciences and Engineering, in press, Springer International Publishing.
– Howlader, T. (with B.M.S.B. Talukder, B. Chowdhury and S.M.M.Rahman) (2016). Intelligent recognition of spontaneous expression using motion magnification of spatio-temporal data, in M. Chau, G.A. Wang & H. Chen (eds.), Intelligence and Security Informatics, pp 114-128, Springer International Publishing.
– Howlader, T. (with Pk. M. Rahman) (2004). Policies and Programs for Poverty Alleviation in Rural Bangladesh, in Abdul Kalam (ed.), Bangladesh in the New Millennium, University Press Limited, pp. 341-358.
- Howlader, T. (2009). Wavelet-based noise reduction for cDNA microarray images, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Concordia University, Canada.
- Howlader, T. (2005). Assessing Power to Detect Gene-Environment Interactions Using Surrogate Outcomes: A Simulation Study, M.Sc. thesis, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Concordia University, Canada.
- Howlader, T. (2001). A Model Building Strategy for the Cox’s Proportional Hazards Regression Model, M.Sc. thesis, Institute of Statistical Research and Training, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Statistical Inference II (AST 306)
• Applied Multivariate Data Analysis (AST 403)
Other professional experiences:
Conference presentations: Presented papers in 10 conferences in 6 countries
Invited talks: Delivered talks at ISI Regional Statistics Conference (Malaysia, 2014), Islamic University of Technology (Bangladesh, 2015), East-West University (Bangladesh, 2015), International Conference on Theory and Application of Statistics (Bangladesh, 2010), Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (Bangladesh, 2010).
Expert reviewer: Reviewed articles for (i) Journal of Statistical Research (publisher: ISRT, University of Dhaka), (ii) International Journal of Statistics and Probability (publisher: Canadian Center of Science and Education), (iii) International Journal of Machine Learning and Cybernetics (publisher: Springer), (iv) International Journal of Image and Data Fusion (publisher: Taylor & Francis), (v) Circuits, Systems and Signal Processing (publisher: Springer).
Role in international organizations and conferences:
- Member of Scientific Program Committee for World Statistics Congress 2019 ; Organization: International Statistical Institute
- Member of Young Statisticians Committee; Organization: International Statistical Institute
- Session Chair; Conferences: ISI Regional Statistics Conference 2014 (Malaysia), International Conference on Theory and Applications of Statistics 2015 (Dhaka)
International Statistical Institute (ISI) [Since Jan 2013]
Bangladesh Statistical Association (BSA) [Life member]
Bangladesh Association for the Advancement of Science (BAAS) [Life member]