Dr. M. Shafiqur Rahman
- Risk prediction models
- Causal inference
- Survival analysis
- Modeling clustered/longitudinal data
- Medical statistics and public health
* indicates student supervised paper
- *Mondol MH, Rahman MS (2019). Bias reduced and separation-proof GEE with small or sparse longitudinal binary data. Statistics in Medicine (Early view).
- Rahman MS, *Rumana AS (2019). A model-based concordance-type index for evaluating the added predictive ability of novel risk factors and markers in the logistic regression models. Journal of Applied Statistics (Early view).
- Roy PK, Khan MHR, Akter T and Rahman MS (2019). Exploring socio-demographic-and geographical-variations in prevalence of diabetes and hypertension in Bangladesh: Bayesian spatial analysis of national health survey data. Spatial and Spatio-temporal Epidemiology, Vol 29:71-83.
- Mia MN, Rahman MS, Roy PK (2018). Sociodemographic and geographical inequalities in under- and overnutrition among children and mothers in Bangladesh: a spatial modelling approach to a nationally representative survey. Public Health Nutrition, Vol 21(13):2471-2481.
- Collis RA, Rahman MS, Watkinson O, Guttman OP, O’Mahony, Elliott PM (2018). Outcomes following the surgical management of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Cardiology, Vol 265(15).
- *Bhuyan MJ, Islam MA, Rahman MS (2018). A bivariate Bernoulli model for analyzing malnutrition data. Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology, Vol 18(2).
- Akter T, Sarker EB, Rahman MS (2018). A tutorial on GEE with applications to diabetes and hypertension data from a complex survey. Journal of Biomedical Analytics, Vol 1(1).
- *Mondol MH, Rahman MS (2017). A comparison of internal validation methods for validating predictive models for binary data with rare events. Journal of Statistical Research, Vol 51(2).
- Rahman MS, Ambler G, Choodari-Oskooei B, Omar R (2017). Review and evaluation of performance measures for survival prediction models in external validation settings. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 17:60.
- Rahman MS, *Sultana M (2017). Performance of Firth-and log F-type penalized methods in risk prediction for small or sparse binary data. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 17:33.
- Rahman MS, Howlader T, Masud MS, Rahman ML (2016). Association of Low-Birth Weight with Malnutrition in Children under Five Years in Bangladesh: Do Mother’s Education, Socio-Economic Status, and Birth Interval Matter?. PLoS ONE, 11(6).
- Rahman MS (2013). Estimating vaccine efficacy under the heterogeneity of vaccine action in a non-randomly mixing population. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics, 23(2):394-412.
- Rahman MS, Islam MA (2007). Markov structure based logistic regression for repeated measures: An application to Diabetes Mellitus Data. Statistical Methodology, 4(4):448-460.
- Lopes LR, Rahman MS, Elliott PM (2013). A systematic review and meta-analysis of genotype–phenotype associations in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy caused by sarcomeric protein mutations. Heart, 99(24):1800-11.
- Guttmann OP, Rahman MS, O’Mahony C, Anastasakis A, Elliott PM (2014). Atrial fibrillation and thromboembolism in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: systematic review. Heart, 100(6):465-72.
Future Research Projects (MS thesis):
- Dynamic prediction using landmark survival model
- Propensity score model selection and estimation of heterogenous treatment effects
- On the sandwich variance estimators of the GEE estimator in the presence of separation
Research Students (for MS thesis in Applied Statistics):
- Tasneem Fatima Alam (2017-2018): Estimation and Inference for Accelerated Failure Time (AFT) models with small or rare event survival data
- Nowrin Nusrat (2017-2018): Dealing with separation or near-to-separation in the model for multinomial response
- Ema Akter (2017-2018): Using Jeffreys-and logF(1,1)-prior based penalized methods for propensity score models with rare exposure
- Muntaha Mushfiquee (2016-2017): Propensity score based adjustment for covariate effects on classification accuracy of biomarker using ROC curve
- Tanzila Rahman Mou (2016-2017): Using penalized methods for propensity score model with rare exposure in observation studies with binary outcome
- Momenul Haque Mondol (2015-2016): Bias reduced and separation-proof generalized estimating equation for correlated binary data
- Avizit Adhikary (2015-2016): Application of Firth’s type penalized method to Cox PH framework for developing predictive models with sparse or highly censored survival data
- Md. Maidul Husain (2015-2016): Covariates adjusted area under ROC curve in the presence of measurement error
- Mahbuba Sultana (2014-2015): An evaluation of penalized likelihood methods for developing binary risk models with rare events
- Md. Moniruzzaman (2014-2015): Prediction in the random effects logistic model for clustered binary data
- Afrin Sadia Rumana (2013-2014): Concordance measures for evaluating the added predictive ability of new risk factors in logistic regression models: An alternative to the existing measures
- Mohammad Junayed Bhuyan (2013-2014): Generalized Bernoulli model for correlated binary responses with an application to child nutrition data in Bangladesh
- Tanjina Rahman (2013-2014): Concordance statistics for evaluating the predictive performance of stratified Cox proportional hazard models
- Biplob Biswas (2012-2013): Concordance statistics and discrimination in logistic regression models
- Ariful Bhuiyan (2012-2013): Measures of predictive accuracy and explained variation for survival risk models
Awards and Grants
- Dean Award (2019). Awarded by the Faculty of Science, University of Dhaka for research paper publication.
- Educational Ambassadorship (2015). Awarded by the American Statistical Association (ASA).
- Conference Scientist Award (2015). Awarded by the International Society for Clinical Biostatistics (ISCB) in the 36th Annual Conference, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Travel Grant (2014). Funded by the Word Bank and ISI for attending Regional Statistics Congress, 16-20 November 2014, Malayesia.
- Research Grant (2013-2014). Funded by the University Grant Commission Bangladesh for the project entitled “Disease mapping in Bangladesh”.
- Costas Goutis Prize (2010). Awarded by the Department of Statistical Science, UCL, UK for research student excellence.
- Travel Grant (2013). Funded by the Word Bank and ISI for attending 59th ISI World Statistics Congress, 25-30 August 2013, Hongkong.
Courses currently teaching
- Lifetime Data Analysis. Undergraduate level
- Epidemiology. Undergraduate level
- Analysis of Longitudinal Data. Graduate level
- Design of Experiments. Undergraduate level
- Generalized Linear Models. Undergraduate level
- Meta Analysis. Graduate level
- Statistical Computing: Survival Analysis and GLM